20 June, 2008

Shocking Language

I heard an item on Sky News which has shocked me to the core. The ueber-model Naomi Campbell, involved in some self-indulgent rant about the loss of her luggage, apparently told the captain of the flight 'You wouldn't be doing this if I were white'.

Now, I don't wish to cast aspersions on Sky News' reporters, but are we really being asked to believe that this woman used a subjunctive? '..if I wuz white', surely?

There again, the BBC website report says she said 'if I was white'. Or was her grammar in fact perfect and the BBC are dumbing down?

Hard to tell. Oh, by the way, she apparently assaulted a police officer and if this is the case should be stuck in gaol, without her Louis Vuitton luggage. The police are here to protect us (her, too) and the last thing they need is some self-important bint thinking she is above the law.

No comments: