02 September, 2008

Teaching God


Recent news about the Republican Running Mate Sarah Palin sent my thoughts back several decades. I don’t mean that her daughter is pregnant – stuff, as another Republican pointed out, happens – but that she had agreed that creationism should be taught alongside Darwinism in schools.

As a child I pointed out to a schoolmaster that learning in one class that we were the result of a six day creation-fest and in another that we were descended from the apes smacked of inconsistency. He gave me the ‘I’ll try to be tolerant’ look and explained that one was Religious Instruction and the other was Biology.

The problem in America is that Church and State are strictly separated, so if you want to teach creationism you have to teach it as science, not religion.

A pity. I think most of us have problems with both, it’s just that one seems less unlikely than the other.

No comments: