08 November, 2010

Obama in India

I may have misheard but I thought Obama said 'Greetings to the world's largest democracy from the world's oldest democracy'.

I hope I did mishear and that he was just mumbling (for someone famed as an orator he seems to me to have an unusually staccato delivery, as if he had been to the George Dubya school of public speaking). Of course America locked up its aboriginal citizens in reservations in the 19th century and black people couldn't vote until the 15th Amendment in 1870. Even in the 1950s blacks had to give up their seats on buses. No, Barack, I think not.

Anyway Obama has said he wants to see India as a permanent member of the UN security Council. This blog is in favour of such a move but some say Obama's plan is to have a single seat for Europe. My advice to Indians is not to hold your breath.

No comments: