13 February, 2012

A new Jeanne d'Arc

The Parisian suburb of Nogent-sur-Marne is a fairly pleasing place, once popular with artists. It had several feather factories in the 19th century and the feather pluckers (I am using spell-check) or plumassières were largely the wives of Italian railway workers from Piacenza.

It was proposed that a statue representing the plumassières be erected in the town, but it was only after the local council gave its approval that councillors learned that it will be in fact be of President Sarkozy's Italian wife, Carla Bruni. The taxpayer is putting up half the money. President Sarkozy's re-election campaign is suffering enough, I should have thought, without this.

For myself I have left instructions that no statues of me are to be erected until after my death. I think it's the best way.

No comments: