25 September, 2007

La Vendemmia



Well, the vendemmia is done. It's backbreaking work (not for me of course, I get to drive the tractor) and it took me a day to recover (from the lunch afterwards). We managed to overcome the breakdown of the crusher, and, for once, to avoid any major flooding in the cantina, and have a shade more than 500 litres in the tank, which will, in a week or so, be technically wine, but will not be drinkable for many months. This is on the low side of our production expectations, there having been almost no rain this year, but the quality is excellent.

The guys who help are marvellous - for some of them this is their sixth year - and they do it all for a pleasant day out in the Umbrian sunshine and a boozy lunch. Having avoided the agricultural wages problem, I have this example to pass on about avoiding inspectors, export licences and tax: we drink it all here (and give it away, of course).

I am still learning about winemaking (and about grape growing) and so there is a fair bit of finger crossing going on at this time. In 2003 and 2005 the wine caught a disease (possibly my fault) and we lost everything. But all being well we should have about 60 cases of pleasing red wine for ourselves and our guests.

I've tried sailing, golf, cricket and map collecting to name but a few hobbies but I can honestly say this is the best.

No comments: