09 September, 2007

Lurching

What exactly is a lurch to the right?

In fact it's hard even to know what the 'right' is these days. Some of the worst political screaming matches I've had have been with the late Michael Vestey (of the BBC's World Tonight, World at One etc and late radio critic of the Spectator). The odd thing is that we each described ourself as right wing but he was horrified by my anti-statist views such as privatising the health service, and libertarian ones such as repealing the law which makes us wear seat belts, just as I was horrified by his views on gays, law and order, Iraq etc. The Conservative Party (to which I haven't belonged for years, let me be clear) is a coalition between the Authoritarian Right and the Libertarian Right.

I don't hold much of a brief for Cameron but give the guy a break: he has to run a broad church, just as Blair/ Brown had to.

No comments: