30 November, 2008

UK: Liam Byrne

This has just come to my attention. Liam Byrne has delivered an 11 page instruction to his staff entitled ‘Working with Liam Byrne’, including such useful titbits as ‘Never put anything to me unless you understand it and can explain it to me in 60 seconds’, ‘The room should be cleared before I arrive in the morning. I like the papers set out in the office before I get in’, and the vital ‘I like a cappuccino when I come in, an espresso at 3pm and soup at 12.30-1pm’

And I loved this: that officials should tell him "not what you think I should know, but you expect I will get asked" – in other words he is less worried about doing his job than defending himself against questioning, New Labour to his roots..

This is just the sort of self-absorbed little prat you wouldn’t want to have any part in running the country.

Mr Byrne is Minister for the Cabinet Office

No comments: