03 November, 2008

US Elections: seen from here

A number of papers have bemoaned the fact that the result of the US elections will affect us greatly but we have no vote. I think perhaps we see it a little differently from a distance and it is perhaps a shame that the American voter won't care a stuff what we think.

Right from the start I have seen Obama as the candidate for the heart not the head. I did not think he would beat McCain, but mind you at the end of last year I thought the race would be between Giuliani and Hillary.

It seems to me that McCain, who was a well respected voice in the Senate, fought an awful campaign. I think both candidates expected the campaign to be about security, but security was the only card in McCain's hand. He seems to have been completely wrongfooted. And whatever his credentials he is unsuited to this sort of electioneering: he is short, jowly and with a squeaky voice. Obama looks a whole lot better on stage.

What worries me, though, is their respective economic policies. If there is one difference between them it is that Obama is protectionist and McCain is a free trader. And it has to be said that the last thing the world needs now is a protectionist president.

It seems, however, that we are going to get one. God bless America, and God help us all.

No comments: