14 January, 2009

Royal racism

It's not often in these unhappy times that I get a good laugh from the BBC News, but after the nonsense about Prince Harry calling a fellow cadet 'our Paki friend' I almost fell apart when I heard that Prince Charles has a friend he calls 'Sooty'.

I am sure this has been said before but 'Paki' is the common parlance for Pakistani. Pakistanis refer to themselves as Pakis. Since the name is an acronym for the tribes that live there (Punjabi, Afghani, Khyberi, Sindhi, Baluchistani) it is only really unfair of the person is of Sindhi or Baluchistani origin, having his bit left off.

This term is offensive only to the tiny number of people in the political and media classes, who of course have been having a field day. I look forward to more sombre sociological analysis of 'Sooty'.

Perhaps we could also have a contribution from the Duke of Edinburgh.

No comments: