06 December, 2010

More news from Italy

OK, quiz time. For one point tell me who or what these quotations are about and for another who said or wrote them


‘You who think. You who imagine. You who transform reality into dream. You express the desire to be there, to resist. You who want to give, you see a universe without limits and confines, a world which believes in progress. You who love. You who, simply, are.’


‘I am absolutely in agreement that I am a certain age, and that I ought to leave sooner or later, but I shall pass the baton when I have finished the programme, but never to the spivs of the old politics. I am a world star and they want to push me out.’

Sorry if the first one made you feel a little queasy. They are both about Silvio Berlusconi; the first is a poem by Lory del Santo, model and former girlfriend of Eric Clapton, and the second is by the great man himself.

Both quotations depict Silvio as a man with a mission, driven, like a knight of old, to perform certain specific tasks while still on this earth. However the first... no, no, I am sorry I can’t read it again.

It’s Berlusconi time in Italian politics as the government faces a vote of no confidence on 14th December. This blog will be giving live coverage (No, it won’t, Ed.)..

The rebels, led by his former deputy Gianfranco Fini, claim to have enough signatures to the motion to unseat him, in which case there will either be elections or the President could impose a technical government.

The problem is that the people, whilst they no longer seem to give credence to the errant knight image (difficult to pull off if you consort with tarts), still do not seem to have confidence in the opposition, the left wing Partito Democratico. And many, whilst supporting the removal of Berlusconi in theory, would be horrified if by backing Fini they allowed the left back in. And many MPs are conscious that they owe their comfortable positions in life to Berlusconi.

So whilst this may be end of Silvio, my advice is not to write him off just yet.

No comments: