26 April, 2012

Roop


Just been listening to the testimony of Rupert Murdoch to the Leveson Inquiry. Marvellous. It was like watching a mature actor at the height of his powers – Judi Dench, Diana Rigg, Anthony Sher, Tony Blair -  going through for a masterclass the various emotions an actor can convey. At times Roop was a handwringing Uriah Heep, almost tearful, ‘I admit that I, I Rupert, was wrong’. Then he was the jokey successful man, then the senior figure to whom it was vulgar to put such questions.

At times he played the pitiable elderly man, bullied into the publc eye, who couldn't keep up with the younger man's questioning. Moments later he showed he has a mind like a laser.

It was a wonderful display. I have never met Murdoch, although I have come across a few of his subordinates, but the impression I was left with, based on just what I have seen and heard, was that..

I wouldn’t trust him with the change for a parking meter.

At some stage, when the hurly-burly’s done, we are going to have to decide whether he and his folk are fit and proper people to run media organisations.

For me, the burden of proof is going to lie with the Murdochs.


No comments: