29 April, 2011

Best wishes

Best wishes to the happy couple. If I could give them a present which would make their lives better and happier, I would. A republic.

Rather than turn up in the uniform of a junior officer in the RAF, it turns out that William is also a colonel in the Guards, so that’s OK.

I’d have been a bit reluctant to take the title Duke of Cambridge. The first one, in 1664, died young and childless. The second one, his brother, did too.

The third Duke became George II, not a great thing to have on your cv; the next was the seventh son of George III, a non-entity, but he did better than the last, his son, who following the titular tradition died childless.

My lack of knowledge of Royal etiquette means I don’t understand why, if he is a prince, and she’s married him, she isn’t a princess. But there, she’s a Duchess, which is good enough to be going on with

No comments: