07 July, 2010

Anniversaries

Today is the 82nd anniversary of the production of the first sliced bread. It was described as 'the greatest forwaard step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped' which is presumably where the expression 'best thing since sliced bread' comes from, although I can think of several things better than sliced bread.

Today is the 150th anniversary of the birth of Gustav Mahler, whose Urlicht is sung by Maureen Forrester, who died a couple of weeks ago. Mahler is a bit of an acquired taste but I like it; don't listen to it if you've got a gun in your hand.




'Urlicht' means Primal Light and here is an extract in English

O little red rose,
Man lies in greatest need,
Man lies in greatest pain.
Ever would I prefer to be in heaven.
Once I came upon a wide road,
There stood an Angel who wanted to turn me away.
But no, I will not be turned away!



To cheer you up after that, today is also the 70th birthday of Ringo Starr, who claims he has never eaten a pizza. Now is the time, I reckon, and I can recommend Il Paino in Rome.

No comments: