28 July, 2010

The law is an ass

Apologies for the break in service, while I sorted out what should have been a trivial problem.

We Brits like to kid ourselves that everything works. I have known people who regard the police as infallible, I have known people, more fantastically, who regard the National Health Service as the envy of the world, but most people, I should have thought, regard the English and Scottish legal systems as being excellent.

I might have thought that myself until I found myself, in 100deg F heat, having to swear, in front of a bemused Italian notary, that I had been able to walk the 20ft from the road to my house in England these last 20 odd years.

She agreed the necessity of being able to get into one's own home, smiled sweetly and charged me 50 euros.

No comments: